[BC] Early formats on FM

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Oct 24 11:44:39 CDT 2005

------ At 07:28 AM 10/24/2005, Larry Albert wrote: -------

>   I was living in Chicago at that time.
>
>   Will report events "as I remember them," unfortunately my memory
> may not be totally correct.

That's how I remember it. Not only was FM not a priority for WGN they
didn't want the hassle of dealing with the listener group. It was
during the days when listener groups actually had a chance with the
FCC. Stations that wanted to do Classical were reluctant because they
were afraid they couldn't get out of it if it didn't work or they
wouldn't be able to sell it without listener uproar. The most
profitable part of the whole deal was the station's program guide
which was known as Chicago Magazine. I'm surprised Tribune didn't
keep it since they were in the publishing business with the Chicago
Tribune and the NY Daily News, among others.

Remember the time WNCN, New York, briefly changed format to rock in 4
channel sound? The last cut played was "Roll Over Beethoven." It was
once owned by Starr Broadcasting. They also owned TM in Dallas.
William F. Buckley was a major stockholder. I remember talking to him
about it on one of his visits to Dallas. He hated the idea but was
outvoted. There was such a listener outcry that the Classical format
was restored. It was sold to GAF and is now owned by Clear Channel as WAXQ.

As I recall, WNCN had a listener group as did WNYC when the city sold
it. By that time the FCC didn't care about formats.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084