[BC] Early formats on FM

Larry Albert larry.albert
Mon Oct 24 06:29:27 CDT 2005

Rich,

   I was living in Chicago at that time.

   Will report events "as I remember them," unfortunately my memory may not
be totally correct.

   Individual owner (possibly the founder and his family) started to sell
WFMT to another station.

   (Must have been WGN from your post.)

   (NO certain knowledge of WHY owner was selling station - possibly wished
to retire.)

   WFMT listeners got totally out of joint and formed a "Committee to Save
WFMT".

   Listeners were afraid that "they" would lose "their station" and its
programing.

   Seller was not happy about the committee's interference  - just wanted
to get his money.

   Buyer was facing a public relation disaster.

   IIRC Buyer closed sale and then donated the station to a public group
which was to continue operate WFMT as it had been.

   I think the transfer/donation may have also included some significant
financial contribution to the new operating group also.

   Hopefully Gordon Carter will be able to confirm or deny the accuracy of
my memory.

   Gordon could ask Studs Terkel (sp?) for his recollections of these events.
   Studs is older than dirt.  He has seen lots.  He has heard lots. He
remembers most of it.

*****

   At same time in Chicago I remember "Smack Dab in the Middle"  WSDM  -  87.9.

   IIRC format was JAZZ.

   Who wants to tell the rest of group what else a listener would notice
that was unique about this station.

   Hint: A listener would notice the same unique feature listening  a
certain Memphis AM.
   Not sure if the Memphis AM was unique during the same years.

*****

Albert