[BC] Early formats on FM

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 23 20:05:46 CDT 2005

------ At 04:08 PM 10/23/2005, Rob Atkinson wrote: -------

>I was told years ago that WFMT used to be WGN FM.   never found out
>if that was true or not, but your story about tribune once owning it
>makes it plausable.   I bet Tribune has regretted the decision to donate it.

It was a strange situation. WGN got possession of WFMT and didn't
want it. I don't remember the circumstances. After all WGN had been
dominant for centuries and FM was not worth the effort. It was better
to donate it to WTTW and get the tax benefits. WPIX-FM was also owned
by Tribune. When I worked there I asked someone at corporate why it
was done. He responded by rolling his eyes as though some dumb jerk
should have been fired for doing it. That was many years later after
FM became dominant. 20-20 hindsight.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia