[BC] Early formats on FM

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Sun Oct 23 15:09:16 CDT 2005

I was told years ago that WFMT used to be WGN FM.   never found out if that
was true or not, but your story about tribune once owning it makes it
plausable.   I bet Tribune has regretted the decision to donate it.

rob atkinson

From: "Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com>" <reader at oldradio.com>
Subject: [BC] Early formats on FM
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:50:02 -0700

------ At 02:36 AM 10/23/2005, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>My recollection is that Beautiful Music was the format that actually drove
>FM expansion in  the late '60s. Beautiful was either the #1 FM or close to
>it in most markets back then. It was also cheap to do; no expensive
>personalities :-). It was also easily automated.

In most markets there were multiple stations doing the format. In Boston WBZ
was #1 in morning drive and WJIB took over from 10am-7pm. In New York there
was WPAT, WRFM,  WTFM and a few others. WJIB led the market for most the 10
years I was there.

Classical was the predominant FM format before Easy Listening. At the time
many FMs were donated to schools and non-comms. WFMT, Chicago, was owned by
Tribune. They saw no future in it and donated it to WTTW.-TV.

WCRB-FM, Boston, is held by a trust that mandates it remain classical.

Rich

http://www.radiolists.net/