[BC] Electrical Code

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sun Oct 23 22:11:16 CDT 2005

On 21 Oct 2005 at 11:35, Davis, Jack L. (KTXL) wrote:

> The three phase Wye connected power is actually 208 volts leg to leg and 120
> volts to neutral.  So it is perfectly legitimate to use any leg to neutral
> for a single phase load.  The code problem gets to be one of fusing, the
> three phase is most likely fused (or circuit breaker) at a high value and
> the wiring on the single phase load is not capeable of that kind of current.
> If you fuse the single phase load at a proper value there should not be a
> problem.  If the three phase is Delta connected (Not common anymore) then
> the voltage is 240 volts leg to leg and one of the leg to leg connections is
> normally center tapped to form the neutral and 120-0-120 for single phase
> load.  Either end of the center tapped transformer winding to neutral is 120
> volts and is usable. The third leg (often reffered as the "wild leg") can not
> be used to neutral as it varys wildly depending on the load and current
> unbalance.

While all of the above is quite true, there is a simple solution. Install a
single three phase disconnect and wire a smaller single phase disconnect as
a branch of its load. Then, when the three phase switch is pulled, all is
dead. I would go so far as to add a shrieking "howler" on the three phase
switch so that if the low power single phase is pulled, a relay falls and
the big box starts screaming like a banshee until it is also pulled. Thus
the small box is there for meeting the intent of the code that each wire
be fused with a fuse correct for its ampacity, and the large three phase
box provides single switch safety for personnel.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037