[BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 23 21:12:40 CDT 2005

------ At 06:21 PM 10/23/2005, Al Stewart wrote: -------

>Hey. Don't pigeon hole everyone of a certain age group. ANY age
>group. Radio people have a bad habit of that ... "if you want to
>reach this age/demographic group then you have to play "x" or "y"
>music. Ain't necessarily so.

When it's often reported that way in Arbitron we have a tendency to
follow the numbers. This is a mass medium. The numbers show the
majority have pretty narrow musical interests. That's probably why
New York City now has only one fulltime Classical station. The rest
have either gone Rock or added significant Talk. Why is there no
Country station in the #1 market in the country. The last country
station was the highest rated one in the nation. Still not producing
enough revenue in the proper demos.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia