[BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

Al Stewart stewarta
Sun Oct 23 17:21:43 CDT 2005

>I can't imagine a 13 year old voluntarily listening to beautiful
>music unless there were an ulterior motive. 13 is a little young to
>understand the seduction value of the format, so it had to be to keep
>Mom and Dad sedated. I'll bet rich kids bought two radios. One was
>placed close to their bedroom door so parents thought they were
>listening to it. The second radio was tuned to corrupting formats.

Hey. Don't pigeon hole everyone of a certain age group. ANY age group. Radio people have a bad habit of that ... "if you want to reach this age/demographic group then you have to play "x" or "y" music. Ain't necessarily so.

Some of us back then (and now) had/have wide/wider tastes in music and programming ... I happened to enjoy "beautiful music" I had my own collection. I liked classical. I also liked "rock". And "pop" before that era.

Al

Al Stewart
stewarta at kootenay.com