[BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

Steve Michaels smichaels
Sun Oct 23 16:54:13 CDT 2005

Nail hit on head.

-----Original Messag
e-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Robert Orban
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:24 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

At 12:14 PM 10/23/2005, you wrote:
>From: Rich Wood <richwood at pobox.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Why FM took off in the 60's
>
>------ At 11:26 AM 10/23/2005, frankgott at aol.com wrote: -------
>
> >Rock'n'Roll simulcasts corrupted by mind.  I caught h-e-hockeysticks =
for
> >spending my money on the radio.  $18 was big money is those days for
> >a 13-yr-old.
> >
> >The classical and beautiful music won over my parents.  they had
programming
> >to listen to unavailable on AM.  My my.  Content!
>
>I can't imagine a 13 year old voluntarily listening to beautiful
>music unless there were an ulterior motive. 13 is a little young to
>understand the seduction value of the format, so it had to be to keep
>Mom and Dad sedated. I'll bet rich kids bought two radios. One was
>placed close to their bedroom door so parents thought they were
>listening to it. The second radio was tuned to corrupting formats.
>Funny how times change. Today Madonna and Gangsta Rap have replaced
>Elvis as masters of corruption. Janet Jackson isn't far behind for =
video=20
>buffs.

The main objection to Elvis in 1955 was his sexualization of rock and =
roll;=20
it was a quantum leap beyond what Sinatra had done in his "bobby socks"=20
era, about 10 years before Elvis. I don't have a problem with that.=20
However, I am disturbed by popular culture that glorifies violence and=20
degrades and objectifies women. I _do_ think that there is an absolute =
line=20
regarding "corruption"; this line is not a moving target to be defined =
down=20
with each generation. Media that glorifies (as opposed to examines)=20
sociopathic, self-destructive, or violent behavior steps over it. This =
is=20
not a healthy thing for media conglomerates to present as normative=20
behavior to children and adolescents, all for the sake of the almighty=20
dollar. I know I'm starting to sound like my parents, but there you have =
it.

In 1959, the gang culture depicted in West Side Story seemed exotic, not =

particularly vicious by today's standards, and, in any event, safely=20
confined to New York City.

In  1971, Kubrick's film "A Clockwork Orange" seemed like outrageous=20
science fiction.

No longer.

Circa 1970, there was a big controversy over RCA's allowing the =
Jefferson=20
Airplane to sing "it doesn't mean s**t to a tree" on one of their LPs.=20
Today, this controversy seems quaint.

I am a firm believer in the First Amendment, but I wish that major=20
entertainment conglomerates would police themselves better. Sometimes, =
it's=20
better to leave potential revenue on the table, particularly if it's =
blood=20
money, earned by defining deviancy down.

(I can see that this discussion might be headed for AF :-)

Bob Orban

http://www.radiolists.net/

--=20
Checked by AVG Free Edition.