[BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 23 20:42:45 CDT 2005

------ At 05:23 PM 10/23/2005, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>However, I am disturbed by popular culture that glorifies violence
>and degrades and objectifies women. I _do_ think that there is an
>absolute line regarding "corruption"; this line is not a moving
>target to be defined down with each generation. Media that glorifies
>(as opposed to examines) sociopathic, self-destructive, or violent
>behavior steps over it. This is not a healthy thing for media
>conglomerates to present as normative behavior to children and
>adolescents, all for the sake of the almighty dollar. I know I'm
>starting to sound like my parents, but there you have it.

I don't disagree. Once the religious folks check in and make
everything rigid, I have to oppose them for fear of losing all our
access to non-porn adult programming. My opposition comes from a love
of the beauty of the language and body of artistic work that sends
shivers up one's spine. Today, obscenity is used as punctuation.

>I am a firm believer in the First Amendment, but I wish that major
>entertainment conglomerates would police themselves better.
>Sometimes, it's better to leave potential revenue on the table,
>particularly if it's blood money, earned by defining deviancy down.
>
>(I can see that this discussion might be headed for AF :-)

Our industry is drive by revenue. Blood money is accepted at the bank
just like any other. Since this list isn't strictly technical, I'm
told, I think the quality of programming is perfectly appropriate here.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084