[BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Wed Oct 26 16:11:33 CDT 2005

>Subject: Re: [BC] Why FM took off in the 60's

As I recall, FM didn't take off in the 60's.  It took off in the 70's, with
album-alternate rock formats and few-to-no commercials ... a format suited
to it's stereo HIFI signal.  In the 60's it was still AM simulcast or "EZ
Listening" automation, at least in the south, where I grew up, where I could
have bought a Class C serving Pensacola FL (WXBM FM) for $7,000 - if I'd HAD
$7k's back in 1969 when I was 15 ...

Were we just way behind, like always, down in "Wallace Country?"  :-)