[BC] HD Radio's lack of upgrade capability

Barry Mishkind barry
Tue Oct 18 18:26:31 CDT 2005

At 02:30 PM 10/18/2005, Michael Bergman wrote
> >         Hence, we would be locked into
> >         only those changes that are
> >         compatible with today's existing tech.
>
>Yes, in the sense that we're not considering new radio purchases in this.
>
>New features are sold in the market with each new model.  IBOC is very
>expandable, with lots of discussion going on now regarding what to do with
>that expandability.

         Understood.  But you couldn't get away
         with another generation of radios
         that cause everyone to be *forced*
         to toss the old radios.  It would kill
         broadcasting.  We only get this one
         chance, which is why so many folks
         suggest installing and promoting IBOC,
         despite the shortcomings.

         Hence, my comment that it is
         so important that ibiquity be forced
         to "declare" the "foundation" so
         improvements can be made without
         obsoleting any more receivers.  Of
         course, I am not holding my breath
         on this...

>If there's a market demand for a new feature, expect it.  When consumers
>walk into Best Buy and ask for HD Radio, Best Buy will carry it.  When they
>ask for HD Radios with weather channels, traffic channels, surround sound,
>etc., Best Buy will carry that too.

         Exactly.

>What is beginning to emerge is that the consumer demand isn't going to
>happen without some compelling content, promoted by broadcasters,
>unavailable on analog.

         Which really ... if you get through the
         facetiousness and other "hot button"
         phrases that Rich Wood is tossing out ... is
         just what Rich is saying.