[BC] RE: HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

Neil Glassman nglassman
Tue Oct 18 07:40:35 CDT 2005

The 96 kbps can be divided unequally, say 64 kbps and 32 kbps. There is
currently a table of choices. We are expecting to be able to allow bandwidth
to be reassigned on the fly in the spring with a larger table of choices.

For those interested in the quality of the HD Codec at various bitrates,
there are two studies by Dr. Ellyn Sheffield funded by NPR that are posted
at http://euonline.org/pub/iboc/index.html

>From the synopsis of one study, "testing indicates that 48 kbps is perceived
by most listeners as providing equal sound quality to the maximum rate of 96
kbps. Just as importantly, the testing demonstrates that the optimal bit
rate allocation varies according to specific categories of programming,
including voice and different genres of music."

--
Neil Glassman
VP Strategic Marketing