[BC] RE: HD Radio multicasting bandwidth

Mike McCarthy Towers
Tue Oct 18 08:58:08 CDT 2005

That may be true, but what about the other 20+Kbps which Ibiquity is
holding back for data transmission.  At this point, I'd rather have that
added data capacity to put into the audio side. That 20+Kbps is tightly
regulated by Ibiquity.  So, the bottom line is simply, the licensee pays
pay for 100% of the equipment and licenses, but only gets 75-80% of the
capacity. That's just not right.

We should have full access to every bit possible to make the product sound
as good as possible.  HDTV doesn't have this restriction.  Virtually every
bit is available for one true HD stream or multiple NTSC streams.  Their
non-broadcast data streams are very limited.  That's not to say they won't
use part of that data capacity for store and forward/later playback.  BUT,
they have that choice and several mega-bits of data to play with.  We have
less than 150Kbps.

Also, your point about making changes being available in the spring, what
about receivers which can also decode the same thing?  With a change like
this, that puts RX's another 2 years out before that feature set will be
available to the public at large.

MM

At 08:37 AM 10/18/2005 -0400, Neil Glassman wrote