[BC] RE: HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

RRSounds@aol.com RRSounds
Tue Oct 18 04:10:28 CDT 2005

Lest we forget, IBOC FM's 96kbps becomes 48kbps each for two programs when
you go into multiple stereo program mode. Right?

At that point, IBOC's codec quality becomes even more critical (as if it
weren't at 96!)

Can IBOC's codec equal or beat the best AACPlus (and therefore XM) has to
offer?

Kind Regards,
David

David P. Reaves, III
TransLanTech Sound, LLC
Creators of the Award-Winning "Ariane Stereo Audio Leveler"

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:16:09 -0800, Robert Orban <rorban at earthlink.net>
wrote:

<<
At 08:37 AM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
    From: "Bill Sepmeier" <dcpowerandlight at hotmail.com>
    Subject: RE: [BC] RE: HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

    You'll take Rich seriously after IBUZ fails to impress the public,
    even when or if it is mandated, and the remainder of your sellable
    audience switches to XM, with it's awesomely incredible 96Kbps
    mostly commercial free signals that blow IBUZ away...

Actually, XM's average bit rate per channel is about   half of HD's 96 kbps.
Of course, XM's codec is aacPlus, which is almost as good as you can do at
these bit rates. (aacPlusV2 with Parametric Stereo is better yet.)

Bob Orban