[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Meuser Robertm
Mon Oct 17 17:09:57 CDT 2005

Robert Orban wrote:

> I think that there will always be a market consisting of people who
> are too busy or distracted to carefully plan their listening (which
> sounds a lot like hard work to me) and who just want to hit the ON
> button and hear music (or talk). So I don't think that the sky is
> falling and that the entire market will adopt on-demand listening.

What you described is the status quo and I do not disagree. I am
addressing those who complain about programming. It was it is because
that what audiences want, turn on the radio without having to think. I
am also addressing the solution without a problem (IBOC) because putting
the same linear experience in an expensive new box does not solve much.
While Europe is in the process of adding video and other features to
radio, we have yet to see any real pizzaz with IBOC. I know there will
be something down the line, but it has to be hot to compete with all the
other technology and will obsolete the receivers we have yet to see in
the marketplace.

> TiVo and its ilk have been around for close to a decade and, if memory
> serves, have yet to penetrate into 10% of the total television homes,
> even though the ability to time-shift television is a far more
> compelling selling proposition than the ability to time-shift radio.

We have internal numbers on DVR projected growth. Anyone who is serious
in the business is planning an operating model that includes the
existance of DVRs.