[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Robert Orban rorban
Mon Oct 17 16:53:14 CDT 2005

At 12:29 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
>From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!
>
>You need to separate two items. One is the creation of content. We can
>talk all day about what is good and what is bad but content is content.
>Then there is the distribution of said content. Radio is but one way to
>do this. At this point in time it is a real time linear experience and
>will fall more and more out of people's life style.
>
>You can put that content out in other forms and it may catch those who
>live non linear lives, but THAT is not radio. When I say radio I include
>analog, digital, XM and Sirius.

I think that there will always be a market consisting of people who are too
busy or distracted to carefully plan their listening (which sounds a lot
like hard work to me) and who just want to hit the ON button and hear music
(or talk). So I don't think that the sky is falling and that the entire
market will adopt on-demand listening. The sky didn't fall when the first
cassette player got put into a car radio. It didn't fall when the first CD
player was put in a car radio. And it's not going to fall when the first
iPod/audio recorder/Internet radio/what-have-you gets put in a car.

TiVo and its ilk have been around for close to a decade and, if memory
serves, have yet to penetrate into 10% of the total television homes, even
though the ability to time-shift television is a far more compelling
selling proposition than the ability to time-shift radio.

bob Orban