[BC] HD and content

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Oct 17 15:26:53 CDT 2005

------ At 01:06 PM 10/17/2005, Cornelius Gould wrote: -------

>I see no reason why a radio station can't make its programming available
>both to real-time (linear) listening, and non-linear on-demand listening.
>It just takes creative thinking, and a willingness to embrace the
>lifestyles of its potential audience.

There is a minor glitch in this. Many advertisers (local ones) have
time sensitive commercials. If a large portion of a station's
audience doesn't hear them in real time, they're useless or they
bring customers in after the sale is over. If a station strips out
commercials, a large portion won't hear anyone's spots. That also
brings us into the Tivo/Podcast problem of zapping spots. It's not
advertiser friendly and product placement doesn't work well in radio.

The solution to zapping is to run spots shorter than the zap time, so
it's not worthwhile to zap. To keep revenue the number of short spots
will have to increase over what we have now.

Rich