[BC] HD and content

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Mon Oct 17 12:05:14 CDT 2005

Yes, Jim!

Radio is about to be dragged into its version of Cable-TV!  Loooook very
closely at TV...and therein lies the future!

And, Robert is correct...On Demand is a big thing...and I agree with Goran.

Those who want to "TiVO" radio are already doing it.  I listen to just
about all of my favorite talk shows that way.  I have a computer that
sits, and records my favorite shows FROM THE RADIO at the scheduled times
& on the correct station.  Later, I download them from the computer, put
it in a portable format, and listen to them when I want to.

Notice...what I am doing did not take "radio" out of the loop.  I just
made it more convenient for me.  I'm so busy running around for work
lately that this has been a wonderful thing for me!  Always something to
listen to when I want to listen to it!

Yes, this can be done without radio if the content were there now, but it
isn't. Right now the on-demand programming space (podcasting, if you will)
is full of lousy poorly produced programming...so radio is OK...for now.

There are still plenty of things I want to hear on the radio...and if it
doesn't jive with my schedule (which is typical for me these days), I
time-shift it!

And as Goran stated earlier, smart stations everywhere are already making
their programming available for the time-shifting crowd using a delivery
method other than the radio.  They're making really early baby steps into
the arena, granted, but they are coming around.

I see no reason why a radio station can't make its programming available
both to real-time (linear) listening, and non-linear on-demand listening.
It just takes creative thinking, and a willingness to embrace the
lifestyles of its potential audience.

The future is going to be all about content, and not necessarily the
delivery method.  Radio can be a valid way to get content to people, it
just needs to be able to adapt to the new way of doing things.  HD radio
multicast is just one way to poke at this new world...but it'll only be
successful if the basic service works correctly, and not annoy folks into
changing out the radios!

-Cornelius

>Why "same old schlock"? It's the chance to make something new!
>
>     Hold on a sec, guys.  Let's warm up the TV and double-check all
those
> myriad 'new entertainment opportunities' coming in off the satellite.
Hmmm,
> there's
> I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Lawrence Welk (on PBS... our pledge dollars at
> work...).  Seems like a lot of 'narrowcasting.'  Does it enlarge the
audience or just
> fragment what's there?  I'll bet the networks, HBO, Showtime, the
Shopping