[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Goran Tomas goran.tomas
Mon Oct 17 05:43:49 CDT 2005

--- At 17.10.2005.b 00:17, khcs at juno.com wrote: ---
>Goran queried:
>
> >Why "same old schlock"? It's the chance to make something new!
>
>-----------------
>
>Well, then why doesn't somebody do "something new" now?  Why wait until
>they have 3 channels and say, "Oops!  Where are we going to come up with
>the money for 3 times as much creative, new programming?"  Sorry that I'm
>skeptical, but I just don't see it happening.

As has been already mentioned, managers are afraid of something new because
they are afraid they'll loose listeners. So they go with tried and safe...
Or "same old schlock" (which is not entirely bad, I might add). An extra
channel that you get practically for free, gives you an opportunity to
experiment with new ideas without the risk of loosing your main-channel
audience. Yes it costs money to run a second channel (mainly for talents),
but you can't get something for nothing. You have to invest a little bit of
money in the beginning, take a risk and hope it'll work.

And your talents don't have to be expensive either. There are a lot of
young people who I'm sure have some fresh (perhaps un-traditional) ideas
for radio shows that might be a success. You'll never know unit you try
them. And you'll never try them on your main channel cause it's "too
risky". I see the second channel as a perfect opportunity for a little
creative playground, particularly until  IBOC is in it's roll-out phase.

Regards,
Goran Tomas