[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 16 21:39:15 CDT 2005

------ At 10:12 PM 10/16/2005, Sid Schweiger wrote: -------

>Even funnier/more pathetic:  The only concrete plans I have heard of, to
>date, for HD2 channels have been three stations (that I know of), that
>have changed formats in the past year, putting their DEAD formats on HD2
>to placate the complainers (and, of course, if just a tenth of those
>complainers had had Arbitron diaries, the formats wouldn't be dead,
>would they?).  If this is what lies in store for
>multicasting...fragmenting the audience even further, with formats that
>wouldn't fly on the main channel...then what's the point?

WCBS-FM is still keeping its oldies format alive on the web and a
secondary channel, I believe. Trouble is, it's not important enough
to retain the personalities at New York rates. They were offered the
chance to stay on at lower pay. They declined, so the old WCBS-FM
that wasn't dead and had the city's oldies format for decades
committed professional suicide with JACK, lost enormous revenue and
neutered the format that shined right up to the end.

The way it's going they'll probably take JACK off.

Rich