[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Mike engineermike
Mon Oct 17 06:29:51 CDT 2005

Sid,
   Many station are still gearing up while others are way ahead and
waiting on technology to catch up.  You haven't heard much about what
people are going to do with their SAC most likely for two reasons.
First if they have plans they aren't going to tell anyone as with any
format most stations keep it quiet until they release it on the world.
Second many are figuring out what they are going to do.  To me this is a
good things as it is getting people in radio to start thinking with a
fresh outlook.  They are approaching it as a new station and opening
their minds more than they might have in the past as they can do things
with their SAC that they may be afraid to do with their main channel.
In our case we did a survey of our listeners and asked them what they
wanted.  We took those results and we have built a strong line up around
what they ask us for.  We are doing it in stages as some of it can not
happen until we can hire the staff to cover it but the ONLY reason we
haven't already hired the staff is we are owned by the University of
Tennessee and it's very difficult to create a position and hire someone.
  That process has started however and we will make this happen.  I get
calls several times a week from listeners asking where they can buy the
radios and we haven't even promoted it yet.  Not one word has been said
on air about our HD being up and operational.  I say all of this only t
point out that just because they haven't told you what they are planning
doesn't mean it isn't being planned or things aren't already being put
into place.
My .02 worth
Later
Mike