[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Oct 16 15:11:28 CDT 2005

------ At 03:47 PM 10/16/2005, Robert Meuser wrote: -------

>Given enough receivers, you could easily sell a 24 kbs channel to
>one of many ethnic groups for more than a subcarrier now pulls. That
>is one of the big things I see for the technology. I is just sad
>that Ibiquity did not make a similar provision for the AM version. I
>can think of so many things that can be done with secondary channels
>that is not necessarily traditional radio that a cluster at the full
>FCC limit would not collectively have enough channels to do it all.

That reminds me of Public Service. Why would we want to do that?
Seriously, that brings us back to the early FM stereo days where the
main channel suffered crosstalk from the SCA. Instead of one
awesomely incredible 96Kbps signal that blows analog away we'd be
sacrificing "CD Quality" for something that's going to make the
ratings slivers even smaller.

Let's say every station signs on with the Arbitron Peoplemeter. Every
channel. At that point you could be #1 in New York with a .9 share.
ARB would have to add several decimal places to rate everyone. A
.3487 share would be reportable. Of course, those corresponding tiny
shares translate to fewer listeners for each.

No one has answered my question about the constant complaints of FM
Docket 80-90. How is adding thousands of additional channels any
different? Also, having to fill thousands of channels 24/7 for little
return we'll be taking programmers who will supply unique, lifesaving
main channel programming away from attending to the big moneymaker.

Are you being swayed to radio? For someone who's convinced it's dead
you have ideas to make it undead. I'll have to buy mirrors, wooden
stakes and crucifxes.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia