[BC] Digital Radio in Australia - Progress??

Goran Tomas goran.tomas
Sun Oct 16 12:21:23 CDT 2005

--- At 16.10.2005.w 09:13, Bill Sepmeier wrote: ---
>>>So how's 128kbps MP2 going to sound compared to 96kbps "HD"Radio?
>>
>>The HDC codec at 96 kbps will sound far better than MP2 at 128 kbps,
>>which dangerously close to the edge of where MP2 falls apart into gross
>>distortion.
>
>Having installed over 300 128kbps MPEG-2 satellite networks worldwide,
>many of which you probably listen to daily without knowing it, I challenge
>this assertion totally.  Please present your supporting evidence

While I don't have any "strong" supporting evidence (just my experience)
I'll have to agree that 128kbps is just too low for MPEG Layer-II to sound
good. We had our station uplinked to satellite at 128kbps and the artifacts
were sometimes very noticeable (particularly on voice). Most of the time it
sounded OK, but even then artifacts were noticeable... If we'd continue to
broadcast via satellite, we would definitely asked for 192kbps.

Regards,
Goran Tomas