[BC] Digital Radio in Australia - Progress??

Bill Sepmeier dcpowerandlight
Sun Oct 16 19:59:46 CDT 2005

>From: Goran Tomas
>
>While I don't have any "strong" supporting evidence (just my experience)
>I'll have to agree that 128kbps is just too low for MPEG Layer-II to sound
>good. We had our station uplinked to satellite at 128kbps and the artifacts
>were sometimes very noticeable (particularly on voice). Most of the time it
>sounded OK, but even then artifacts were noticeable... If we'd continue to
>broadcast via satellite, we would definitely asked for 192kbps.

Interesting.  We ran many blind tests during my tenure in the satcoms
business and not one showed anyone who could A/B tell the difference between
192 L2a and 128 L2a MPEG.  128 / 256? Yes, there's more bass at 256, but
once our clients added 3db on the low end the difference even between 256
and 128 was undetectable.  We never experienced artifacts in speech at 128
on any of our client's nets ... shoot, if it had sounded bad I would have
chopped the transponder into 300kHz slices instead of 200 and had everyone
running 192... plenty of returns either way.

What codec and equipment were you using?  CCS/Comstream?