[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sat Oct 15 10:53:29 CDT 2005

On 14 Oct 2005 at 7:18, Cornelius Gould wrote:

> Where I do see really uneven (not favorable)FM-HD coverage is from folks
> doing space combining (separate antenna aparature for the HD component).
>   Boy is that a crap-shoot as to whether or not your HD signal coverage
> matches analog!

Considering the present rules, getting a coverage match is highly unlikely.
At present, the FCC requires using a licensed aux. antenna as the digital.
Possibly, if the "aux." antenna is put in specifically for digital use, it
might be similar coverage. However, if it is an existing, true aux. antenna
that's drafted into digital service, the mounting and elevation are such
that coverages probably will not be similar.

As I understand it, the reason for this situation is FCC computer programming.
It seems having the digital antenna as a licensed aux. antenna is the only
way they can accommodate it on the computer.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037