[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Fri Oct 14 06:20:13 CDT 2005

  The next batch of
> returns will be the constant quality difference switching from digital
> to analog, especially on AM, especially in the near fringe of a signal.

I don't see this as much of a problem for FM as the difference is
extremely subtle in most people's ears.  I can pick it up like passing a
dead skunk on the road, but the Joe six packs that have ridden with me
in my car listening to my HD Radio set couldn't tell any difference at
all.  This is where Multicast becomes a key player in the tech.

But if the normal "HD-1" is going to be so screwed up because of
stations refusing to time-align, then HD-2 is in serious risk of not
becoming a possibility as the OEM radio manufacturers would have said
"enough is enough why are we wasting our money on this pain in the arse
old tech?"

Nothing is bothering me more than seeing broadcasters whine about why
the radios are not coming out...and when they do, many broadcasters
aren't even using the system right.  Makes us look like the Keystone Cops!

As for AM, none of the local AM's here are running HD, and the one time
I got to work on one of our AM stations, I found that the blending thing
happens less than on the FM.  But that's only ONE station.  I haven't
experienced much beyond that one facility, so for all I know, my
comments may be the exception to the rule...

I would have to agree that when the HD-AM receiver does roll back to
analog it is very noticable.

>Unless
> both modes have the same coverage the cars will come back. Trust me. I
> come from a car dealer family.

If the HD Radio transmission system is designed correctly, the HD Radio
signal will blanket the area suprisingly well.  On my sticks, the HD
signal doesn't start to break up until you are in areas where the analog
signal gets somewhat irritating to listen to (due to multipath, etc.).

Where I do see really uneven (not favorable)FM-HD coverage is from folks
doing space combining (separate antenna aparature for the HD component).
  Boy is that a crap-shoot as to whether or not your HD signal coverage
matches analog!

-Cornelius

--

- Cornelius Gould