[BC] TX site safety

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Oct 12 13:40:54 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/12/2005 12:46:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
larry.albert at murraystate.edu writes:

>    I don't think I EVER start to use an ohm meter without touching the
>  probes together and checking for ZERO.

Of course... but *what if* the internal circuitry of the meter is flawed, and
a several thousand ohm load sends the meter to full scale (0 ohms)? How do
you *know* that your meter really is reading (nearly) zero ohms? What if the
j-stick really doesn't have a good connection to ground, but your flawed meter
says it does? What if the breaker looks like it's off, but internally, the
mechanism didn't disengage?

It could really get ridiculous, and that was the point of my post. At some
point, you have to realize that you are relying on your skills and your
equipment to be functioning. For a person to live life without trusting *anyone* or
*anything* just seems like a really frightening thing. I cannot imagine what
it's like to live like that... in abject fear of everything, even afraid to sit
down, for fear the chair is going to go "splat" under you.

>     In the pre-DVM days this was a necessary routine to check battery
>  condition and zero calibration.

Of course, and I have done it many, many times. :)

>     I also like to have light attached to the DEAD circuit with clip
>  leads.  If the light comes on - hands-off.

Yes, absolutely.

>     Yes I check the light bulb across the AC before disconnecting power.

I would, too. :)

>     I don't remember ever checking the shorting stick with  an ohm meter.
>     Now I think I will make that check also.

That is a good idea, but if the thing is in good, clean condition and the
hardware is solid, one can be sure it's still operational after the first check
had been made.

>     I agree that it is impossible to check every calibration every time.

Right. But imagine being so paranoind and fearful, completely lacking trust
in anyone or anything? What do you do? Check everything, twice, and check the
checkers, too? When can you finally say, "OK, it's safe, now." when you never
trust anything or anyone?

It's called common sense... but why is it so uncommon? ;)

Willie...