[BC] "news" or "bias"

Paul Smith W4KNX" <paul@amtower.com reader
Wed Oct 12 03:57:42 CDT 2005

One area that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is the bias that chooses
what stories to report.  Many times valid news stories are spiked or
deliberately chosen based on ideology.  Thats where the true bias is in any
news.  I really notice it in print journalism.  Placement of certain stories
really stands out according to bias.  It's been my observation that most
stories are accurately reported.
Take Global warming.  News organizations that believe in it report it as a
fact.  Those that dont, usually report both sides of it.

Paul Smith
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of David Lawrence
<david at onlinetonight.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:44 AM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [BC] Air America

On 10/10/05 4:48 PM, one Douglas Schleutker <schleutker at schleutker.net>
wrote:

  >   My definition of 'fair' where it applies to news would be:
  > NOT otherwise doctored to include, or exclude anything other than who,
what,
  > when, and where.
  > (maybe why and how)

To you, and to Donna, and to anyone else that is currently advising,
managing or consulting with stations on news: you're fooling yourself if you
think you can force an increasingly competitive news marketplace towards
"fairness" (whatever that means - and it usually means something other than
"just the facts"), and away from disintermediation of traditional news
standards and into an era of post-modern presentation.