[BC] Satellite EAS

Ron Youvan ka4inm
Tue Oct 11 21:43:41 CDT 2005

> EMP destroys the base/emitter and/or base/collector junctions of
> transistors.

> Tube equipment is immune.

> Completely? Are you sure? (I'm not, that's why I ask and ponder). I'd think
> that internal arcing would occur similar to the effect of putting it into a
> microwave oven. However, at this point it's a moot point (except for the few
> audiophiles that still use small tubes which would be the ones most at risk
> I'd guess.

   I have read extensively about EMP pulses from "A" bomb tests blowing the
filaments out of light bulbs whether tuned on or off.  And burning out the
windings of starter motors in trucks & cars.
   "H" bomb tests on pacific atolls damaged electronic equipment in Australia
hundreds of miles away.  An EMP device over (several) cities would render
almost everything electrical not, over a several hundred mile circle.

   I saw lightning strike the top power line in front of my house (40 years ago)
and it blew out the filament of every lamp AND light switch in the house.
(open ones never closed again and closed ones were frozen closed)
--
    Ron