[BC] RE: WMOX Thump

harold stanton k5gvr
Mon Oct 10 22:45:26 CDT 2005

That is really funny,
Hadn't thought about that "thump" in years. And of all the rigs I have
worked with that seems to be one of only two that had anyting like that
"thump'. I would suppose that the rather large filter choke and capacitor
values that were part of the thyratron supply had a great deal to do with
that "special' noise.
The other one was a 5kw that was in McComb on 970 (ITIR) it was of the same
vintage and design.
By the way all that xmtr use a pair of 5762's in the RF and a pair in the
modulators.
And I have several rigs here that use a 5763 9 pin beam amp good to 250mhz.
WDAM TV had "two" ring amps when I came here in '70. The second was the
original aural amp that was used prior to the decision that aural would be
10% of the visual power.The "B" model had been "colorized" which
re-designated it a "D".
And as regards the other thump, I am told that the "act" has been cleaned up
and a 180degree turnaround in general social acceptability. And that would
be "a good thing".
Now ......" really obscure Meridian trivia"........... what was the general
managers name of WMOX that was there and who's life did he save as a boy and
where did he go and what station that he created changed the FM band's
future?