[BC] TV tower kills birds

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Sat Oct 8 09:06:19 CDT 2005

> Is this just some sort of anomaly, or is this more common than I thought?
> In the 15+ years I have been in broadcasting (I'm a neophyte- I know) I
> have yet to see
> a dead bird at the tower site, and I've been to a few. Is this a
> regional issue?

I've worked in broadcasting around here since 1965.  In all those years, I
have found exactly one dead bird near a tower.  While relamping a 300 ft.
Wincharger, the climber tossed down a mummified duck.  Apparently, it got
it's neck caught in an X brace.  During migratory seasons, the guy wires on
this very same AM tower will be temporary resting space for hundreds of
birds at a time.  It is wise to wear a hat and not look up when coming to
and going from the building near the tower base.

OTOH, we once had a combo operation with studios on the 6th floor of a
ten-story bank building.  I often found dead birds on the mezzanine roof,
where we had satellite dishes.  They smacked into the mirrored windows up
above and dropped to the roof below.  I live adjacent to a large wooded
area.  Over the years, I have found lots of dead birds, including owls.
Considering their usual condition, I can only assume that most of them flew
into trees.  I not taken any in for a necropsy.

Maybe this is nature's way of eliminating birds with poor navigational
skills from the gene pool?

Gary Peterson, K?CX
Rapid City, SD