NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Barry McLarnon bdm
Fri Oct 7 10:46:45 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 21:02, DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:
> paul at amtower.com writes:
>
> I'm  reminded of Canadian broadcasters who for at least two or three
> decades  have moaned loudly about how much money they lose, especially
> on their AM  properties.  Yet somehow I have yet to hear of even a
> single AM station handing their license back to the government.
>

> _
> They  are handing them in by the dozens.... They're trading them for
> FM's.
>
> In  fact some provinces have only a few AM's left.
>
> Paul  Smith
>

> Correct  they are turning their AM's off.  Evidently  they  are not
> relinquishing there allocations by the treaties.   I guess  they may
> figure IBOC could come around for AM in the future  in Canada.

Although there has been a significant migration from AM to FM in the
past decade or so, I think the number of AMs in Canada has pretty much
stabilized (at around 240 or so).  In fact, there are a number of new
applications active now for some of those abandoned allocations, as well
as some new ones in the expanded band.  Of the AMs that remain on the air
in Canada, a much higher proportion are running high power (10 kW or more)
than is the case south of the border.

There is certainly interest here as well in going digital in the AM band,
but it wouldn't necessarily involve IBOC.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON