[BC] What's a "Svartifoss"? was Sign of the times?

Cowboy curt
Thu Oct 6 07:37:19 CDT 2005

On Thursday 06 October 2005 00:57, Alan Alsobrook wrote:
>  From what i'm guessing, please remember I'm not an IT guy, when you set
> up servers like that on a (I think unix) network you have to give the
> servers a name.

 Well, you don't have to. It isn't mandatory, but since people think in
 those terms, it makes the whole system easier to deal with.
 The machines themselves think completely in numbers, and are just
 fine with machine names like 66.181.110.2:192.168.93.5:80 but try
 remembering a dozen or more web servers named just that way.

 Since all of Internet IS a TCP/IP ( aka UNIX ) network....

> From what I've seen it seems the people doing the naming
> search far and wide to find weird, strange, and unique names to give
> their servers.. This is what I'm thinking is going on.

 Some do. Some of us ( ok, ME ) try to stay with names that make sense
 for administration and common use by people.
 That's why name servers one and two at, for instance verisign, are
 named things like ns1.verisign.com and ns2.verisign.com, as well
 as at almost all other DNS providers and ISP's.
 Others get cute for varieties of reasons.

> But then again
> considering all the FCC data is in there, their cold be some deep
> meaning to the name which means "Black Waterfall"

 ;-)
 I'm certain that was not the original intent, but unintended consequences...

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair.
  -- Bette Davis, "Cabin in the Cotton"