NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Oct 5 21:06:14 CDT 2005

On 5 Oct 2005 at 11:51, Paul Christensen wrote:

> More deregulation calls for some of the same market forces that promote
> healthy competition.  And the broadcasting industry should be prepared to
> accept such a possibility in the face of deregulation or create a compelling
> argument against it.

This is not intended as a condemnation, but rather as an
explanation for consideration and reflection. Perhaps it
is part of a compelling argument against substantial
concentration in industries that depend on creativity as
their only defense against more creative upstarts.

Public corporations are rightly risk-adverse fiduciaries, thus
innovation is quite rare. As ownership is concentrated, the
industry has become static to the point that most balance sheet
gains come at the expense of employment and creative opportunity.

It is a well proven fact that new employment and innovation
spring from the small business sector, not from the concentrated,
established leaders once the first generation management has
retired from policy guidance and overall direction. This is more
a comment on general American business practice, however, as
broadcasting evolves into the general business pattern that
deregulation permits, it can be equally expected to join the
complete birth, maturation, demise cycle typical of most large
business organizations.  In the present environment, it is
doubtful we will again see the constant renewal of ownership
and ideas that characterized the first 50 years of broadcasting.

This may or may not be a compelling argument, but IMHO it is
worth serious consideration. YMMV.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037