NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Paul Christensen attorney
Wed Oct 5 10:52:03 CDT 2005

> Neither have the myriad of compulsory local community of license and EAS
> requirements that all Part 73 and some Part 74 licensees have placed upon
> them by regulation. To that end, their costs of doing business places them
> at an unfair advantage over terrestrial broadcasters.

That's certainly true and other communications industries have faced the
same dilemma, including the IBOC operators (i.e., Incumbent Bell Operating
Companies, not HD Radio) where they have been wanting to provide bundled
voice, video and data to customers for a long time in a free, deregulated
marketplace.

The broadcasting community has been granted a great gift in that spectrum
has been allocated on a gratis basis in the name of providing community
service to the public.  But it is some of those same regulatory requirements
that may place a restriction on future growth, assuming that growth cannot
come from a remodeling of the existing business plans (e.g., programming
changes, multicasting and  5.1 audio through HD Radio, etc.) - leaving
additional concentration as the only means of achieving growth.  Has the
industry gotten to the point where the only reasonable means of financial
growth comes only from more consolidation?   If that is true, then
deregulation of the concentration rules is necessary to compete with the
so-called nascent services.

But what strikes me as reasonable on one side of the argument, is that if
additional concentration is necessary, then at some point the discussion
must also include payment in the way of spectrum fees for use of Part 73 and
74 services.   If the broadcast community strives for a more competitive
playing field, an argument can further be made that in the interest of
fairness, broadcasters should begin paying their way for spectrum use (at
auction or as a fee annuity) as do other wireless services.

Or in the alternative, the nascent services must deal with some of the same
regulatory issues as Mike pointed out, including concentration of those
services in any given market.  My gut tells me that neither Congress, nor
the FCC is in a position to throw any kind of road-block in the path of new
services until in their minds, the field is leveled.

More deregulation calls for some of the same market forces that promote
healthy competition.  And the broadcasting industry should be prepared to
accept such a possibility in the face of deregulation or create a compelling
argument against it.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802    Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org