[BC] Broadcast owners ... was: Clear Channel Wants ...

Barry Mishkind barry
Wed Oct 5 15:37:46 CDT 2005

At 08:22 AM 10/5/2005, Rich Wood wrote
>Have the cell companies no fixed costs? If they're using auctioned
>frequencies, didn't they pay a fortune for them? It would seem fair
>to apply a licensing fee for the spectrum CC uses. Level the playing field.
>
>This sounds strangely like Wal-Mart petitioning the government to
>prevent the Dollar store from opening up the street because it might
>have an impact on their stock price.
>
>I wonder who has the most money to spend on politicians. That's
>what's going to make things happen.

         This is the way it has always been, and
         will be ... especially in the modern world.

         Radio is no longer deemed a key Public
         Service, except by politicians trying to
         get votes out of AMBER alerts.

         It has become a commodity because the
         industry asked for it.  Becuase the
         efforts to "level any playing field" were
         NIMBY'd by those who had the big
         facilities and saw only the status quo,
         never expecting Ipods or Sat Radio to
         threaten what they saw as a limited market,
         just like oil refining.

         And again, remember, it is not the workers
         who are the problem...