NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

JYRussell@academicplanet.com jyrussell
Wed Oct 5 18:16:51 CDT 2005

Biggest argument I heard against that though, came from the major
Radio-Biggie comany who said "if we play the wrong song it costs us XX
points and XX thousands of dollars"..
Gad.
Jason

> That's what happens when stations program TO a format, instead of
programming FOR listeners.  What I mean is:  a station decides "we're going
Adult-Contemporary."  Thus, they broadcast a bunch of songs from a list
called a "chart."  Instead of _following_ the chart, they should be
_defining_ it, by finding out what their audience niche wants to hear,
playing those songs, and reporting to R&R or whoever.  There may be some
overlap with other stations, but, hopefully, they will also be airing songs
that other stations don't.  Thus they will establish their own individuality
instead of sounding like half of the other stations on the air.