[BC] Sign of the times?

khcs@juno.com khcs
Wed Oct 5 11:50:01 CDT 2005

Mike summarized:

>None the less, the owners of this station are extending their necks out
pretty far into the guillotine if they are in violation of the main studio rule.

Uh ... yeah.  A couple of years ago I got a call from an outfit that was putting a new station on the air in our area.  They asked if we had any studio space to rent.  I asked, how much space, and it boiled down to about a square foot for a cheap Mackie mixer, a mic, and a CD player that could be connected to the transmitter site via phone line to somehow satisfy the FCC requirement for a studio.  They also asked if I could be the "Manager" and I put that in quotes because the station is nothing but a glorified satellator, with absolutely no local content, and there would be really nothing to manage.  They have a satellite dish, receiver, transmitter and a 1-bay antenna up on the hill.  That's it.  Last I heard, their Public File was at the Riverside County Library in Palm Desert.  Somehow I don't quite see this as fulfilling the "public interest, convenience and necessity."

Oh -- I told them "no" on both offers.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA