[BC] call letters and their slogans

jaybraswell@bellsouth.net jaybraswell
Wed Oct 5 05:55:42 CDT 2005

> WFBC (Now in Greenville, SC) originally was in Knoxville, TN on 1200 ...
> and owned by the First Baptist Church.

I've heard this before, but I'm thinking that it may be incorrect. The
Greenville News & Piedmont owned WFBC, and the newspaper's slogan (long
before radio) was "We Foster Better Citizenship". Of course, I wasn't around
in those days, so I could be mistaken.

For a fact, I do know that WIS (Columbia, SC) and WNOX (Knoxville, Tn)
swapped frequencies. WIS was originally on 1010, and WNOX was on 560. 560
moved to Columbia, with 1010 going to Knoxville. WNOX shifted from 1010 to
990 in the 1941 frequency reallocation.