[BC] Engineering school

Mike McCarthy Towers
Mon Oct 3 21:07:18 CDT 2005

Aside from the freshman lecture of:

"We're here to educate you, not baby sit you.  It's up to you to attend
classes, absorb the material we present and to apply.  It's also encumbent
upon you to ask questions on things you don't understand. It's all about
your DESIRE to learn and ultimately succeed."

I was just at my alma mater's homecoming. What I saw scared me and
comforted me...at different times. I saw many dedicated students with a
purpose of being there to learn and excel.  (One of my frat house's pledges
is ex-military EE major...who seems to get it.) I also saw a substantial
minority there for reasons which differ from that goal. It's that minority
which ultimately hurts those wanting to excel.

So, to those courses which are the "filters" for the curricula to screen
out the lechers, more power.  It surely opened my eyes when I took my first
one....

MM

At 11:58 AM 10/3/2005 -0600, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote