[BC] Cyrmu: Barry in Wales

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Oct 3 11:27:07 CDT 2005

At 02:20 PM 10/2/2005, Scott Fybush wrote
>I treasure my airchecks from my 2002 visit to Wales. If you've never
>heard the Welsh language in action on the radio (and ever since the
>BBC World Service discontinued their Welsh-to-Patagonia service,
>it's pretty much impossible in North America), you're missing one of
>the more unusual experiences out there. It sounds like something
>akin to listening to someone clear their throat for several minutes
>at a time - albeit with jingles and traffic reports and so on, all
>interspersed amidst the broadcast.

         Heheh... close.  My host (in Cariff)'s wife
         speaks Welch ... and even her English
         is accented Welchy.  (Welchy? <ggg>)

         I *love* the way she says "Barry" ... !
         (and it really is coincidental that they
         live in Barry .... yes ... Barry, next to
         Barry Island, the end of the Barry Railway.
         Also the place they stored ALL the disused
         steam locomotives until the enthusiasts
         rescued them.  I have a picture of John
         and I walking around the storage area
         just before the last of them were taken
         away.)

         It was a mutual friend that introduced
         us about 20 years ago, and we have
         been friends since.  In fact, they
         visited Tucson earlier this year.

>At the risk of going off-topic, I hope Barry's itinerary includes a
>visit to Portmeirion, the resort where "The Prisoner" was filmed in
>the sixties. I think it was the most memorable vacation I've ever
>taken, anywhere!

         Why, how could it not?  I've been there
         twice... and have pix of me in cottage #6
         and a few other places.

         However, I never did find the transmitter!

         <g>