[BC] call letters and what they stand for

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Sat Oct 1 22:30:14 CDT 2005

Yep, Neal Bunn was my first boss. A more colorful character you would be
hard pressed to find. A kindly old gentleman, he had been an ace pilot
during WWII. He used to tell stories of flying "over the hump" into Burma--a
route that was known for its dangers. He owned his own private plane while
living in Savannah, and was an active member of the Civil Air Patrol. Also a
ham radio operator as I recall.

He was a big fan of Big Band music, and that's what we had to play after 7PM
each night. Stations were "block" programmed in those days, we played
country music in the morning and afternoons with an hour of gospel thrown
in, there was an hour of local preaching at noon, and we had our own local
"gab" shows as I called them, with local businesses buying 15 minute blocks
of time to just come on and talk about whatever struck their fancy. We
played one hour of rock music from 6 to 7 PM, then the aforementioned Big
Band music until 10, when the station signed off.

Those WERE the days!

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS