[BC] Re: Re: WKRP

RRSounds@aol.com RRSounds
Sat Oct 1 18:08:50 CDT 2005

In a message dated Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:11:05 -0400, Cowboy <
curt at spam-o-matic.net> writes:

<<
> On Saturday 01 October 2005 14:03, Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW wrote:
>
> > Dr. Johnny Fever was based on Skinny Bobby Harper who eventually moved
> > from WQXI to WSB where he was a very successful DJ.
>
> Things do go full-circle.
>
> I remember, reading that Malcom "Mac" Rebennack,
> aka Dr. John the Night Tripper, based ( in part ) ( or at least was inspired
> by )
> his Dr. John persona on Dr. Johnny Fever.
>
> For too many of us, WKRP does hit home !
>
> --
> Cowboy

Hmm-m-m...
Dr. John's persona preceded WKRP by many years.
"Right Place...Wrong Time" was the big hit for Dr. John in 1973.
WKRP debuted in 1978, five years later.

BTW, I think the reason WKRP hits home so squarely is that they poked fun at
some very common (and funny) stereotypes.
Like the station owner whose mother dominates him... that was my boss in
Gainesville when I was a PD. Only in my case it was his mother AND his aunt...

The stories I could tell if there weren't any anti-libel laws!
:-)

Kind Regards,
David

David P. Reaves, III
TransLanTech Sound, LLC
Home of the award-winning "Ariane Sequel Digital Audio Leveler"