[BC] could someone explain this to me?

Fred Gleason fredg
Fri May 27 23:17:53 CDT 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 18:00, Rich Wood wrote:

> The real difference is
> that there's only a few "liberal" programming sources, so balance between
> liberal and conservative isn't possible.

Ahem!  What about:
	ABC
	CBS (Dan may be gone, but the legacy lives on)
	NBC
	CNN
	The Associated Press
	The Washington Post
	The New York Times
	Many, MANY more...

Mind you, I find nothing wrong with this.  All of the above are private
organizations, and as such are entitled to their point of view.  But please,
don't talk about 'lack of balance'.  The whole reason conservative talk radio
has blossomed the way it has was precisely to *restore* the balance.

I say 'restore' because, if you look at the history of American journalism,
blatant partisanship originally was very much the norm.  Starting in the
early 1820s (roughly corresponding with the rise of the Democratic Party
under Andrew Jackson) every major city had it's 'Democratic' and
'Whig' (after 1860 'Republican') papers.  These papers were far from reticent
about making their opinions known on the issues of the day, and typically
slanted their news reporting accordingly.

This changed around the time of World War II.  Ironically, a large factor in
killing the tradition was the rise of broadcasting, particularly television.
The competition from this new technology made sustaining more than one daily
paper uneconomic in all but the very largest cities.  And, since broadcasting
was/is supposed to be licensed 'in the public interest' (remember the
'fairness doctrine'?), a new (and IMO mostly unworkable) new ethic of
'unbiased' reporting evolved.  However, man being the political animal that
he is, the new ethic came mostly to serve as cover for pushing increasingly
leftist agendas.

And now conservative talk radio has restored the balance.  I for one would
much rather have news sources whose ideological agenda is clear and
recognized from the get-go, rather than having to deal with some amorphous
concept of 'unbiased reporting' that is impossible to achieve while leaving
me guessing as to the what the real agenda is.  People are quite capable of
separating the wheat from the chaff when they know where the plant came from.

> If PBS is any
> indication, we'll have lots and lots of Yanni-type concerts replacing
> public affairs. William F. Buckley was a little too early.

On the contrary, your goal is *much* too modest.  Ideally, we'll have *no*
PBS, and no CPB either.  I think that the money thus saved would be much
better utilized in the hands of it's proper owners (that's you and me, BTW --
the taxpayers).  I know that the Christian broadcasting community for one has
a large and robust segment of non-commercial broadcasters that exist entirely
on the basis of voluntary public support -- no handouts from Uncle Sugar
here!  I see no reason why everyone else should not be subject to the same
standard.  Lest I come across sounding like a complete Philistine, I do love
the opera (and am most grateful to Texaco, who has been sponsoring it
continuously for more than sixty years now).  If these programs really do
fullfill a widespread public need, then finding the necessary funding in the
private sector should not be a problem.

Ok, history class is dismissed.  Whew!  :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
| True leadership is the art of changing a group from what it is to what  |
| it ought to be.                                                         |
|                                      -- Virginia Allan                  |