[BC] could someone explain this to me? Sure I can do that.

Douglas B. Pritchett dpritchett1
Fri May 27 17:06:21 CDT 2005

Donna, I respect you very much, but please allow me to make some points.
Thanks.

I seem to recall a program from the 70's which featured an opinionated
fellow. A rather jaded cuss who would rant routinely about the Irish, the
Catholics, the Mexicans, Germans, Poles, Puerto Ricans......and every other
race/creed/religion. This man's show was featured in prime time and exposed
to a vast audience............The level of rhetoric did not rise to today's
level, but it did send more than a ripple across the country.

But did anyone really believe that Norman Lear's creation of Archie Bunker
would send the mass audience into the streets to hunt down and kill anyone
who was not a WASP?? For goodness sakes it's entertainment.

In my opinion, AND NOT DEFENDING ANY POINT OF VIEW ONE MIGHT FIND
OFFENSIVE, I would simply say that Michael Savage is like Michael Moore is
like Rush Limbaugh is like Randi Rhodes......it's entertainment. It may
have some sort of appeal to "like minded" individuals, but if it wasn't
entertaining (in some manner that sometimes escapes me) it wouldn't survive
on the air. That's one reason why I think Air America should continue.
Someone making outlandish claims from the left is just as entertaining as
someone on the right making foolish claims or assertions.

While the mass audience can sometimes be fooled into buying a certain glass
cleaner because it produces "high definition" windows, we need to give
those suffering masses more credit that we do. You really don't think they
believe all the stuff they hear on the radio? Or see on TV?

On the other hand, are you telling me that someone who makes an idiot of
themselves with preposterous claims and distortions (left or right-take
your pick) doesn't have a right to come off sounding like a lunatic? And
who would become the arbiter of such things? The Congress, the White House?
The FCC? The First Amendment does not make content decisions. You have a
right to speak, and a right to have your opinions questioned by someone else.

Douglas B. Pritchett
dpritchett1 at comcast.net