[BC] Go fishing

Cowboy curt
Tue May 24 22:15:03 CDT 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 16:24, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote:
> I'm sure Barry will tell me if I'm pushing this too far.

 Don't know what Barry thinks, but I don't think your pushing this too far.
 I'ld MUCH rather discuss it here, than have to lobby state legislatures !
 That's expensive, time consuming, dangerous, and will result in a solution
 equally destructive to all concerned, and would happen anyway as another
 money grab by the states.
 Witness Illinois ( can't be an engineer, whether you are or not,
 unless you have an Illinois PE. ) and Minnisota ( money grab ).

 Personally, I am an engineer by virtue of experience, profession, and reputation,
 not because some academic says so.

 In other words, Webster says an "engineer" is one who tends the engines.
 Various laws say an engineer is one who has attended school.
 I know very well what I am.

> Everyone loves to complain and whine. Somehow it makes people feel better.
> But what does that do about the problem?

 Creates opportunity, for ME !    ;-)
 ( yeah, I'm a greedy little ...... )

> These are important issues at the core of our careers.

 Yes, and no.
 It's not your situation, it's how you react to it.

> I like the 60's adage "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of
> the problem." Which are you?

 For me, I am my own solution ( as well as my own problem ) and I'll just
 thank you to NOT push a universal and permanent soultion to a
 temporary and limited problem !
 Particularly, a solution that penalizes me, as a fix for someone's problem
 who won't fix it themselves, for whatever reason.

> If any of you feel angry or uncomfortable, perhaps it's because it's
> finally sinking in.

 Not angry, not uncomfortable, just think that on this one, you're not
 entirely correct, and bordering on flat wrong....
 HOWEVER, discomfort is a good thing, in that it provides the motivation
 to improve one's lot, and should not ( IMHO ) be crushed by legal mandate !
 Discomfort has made me a success, and by at least one of your posts,
 you, too !
 Let us not seek to deny others that which has afforded us the opportunity
 to better ourselves.

> Join in the discussion. Bring your opinion. Better yet, bring some facts,
> figures and well-formed arguments.
>
> If all you know how to do is whine, go fishing.

 I know some pretty good wines. Does that count ?
 ;-)

 Just one mans opinion.
 ( film at eleven..... )