[BC] SBE AMD

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Mon May 23 16:47:27 CDT 2005

Phil Alexander wrote:

> I'm sure they will tell us how many passed in the next edition of the
> Signal, but I'm wondering how many were willing to take a shot at it
> with no study material or idea of what they were going to cover.

Yes I'm sure they will, but you know the sadist in me I'm always curious as to the survival ratio.

>>I took it Blind and Deaf,
> There should be a comment there, but I'm not touching that one. <gggggg>
You had your chance, hehe it's too late now.. Although Roomer has it Barry is doing something to get
me big time!

>>since I didn't bring any reference material at all.

> ABIP inspectors are supposed to have it all memorized anyway aren't
> they? <ggg>

Believe that one!

> Hey, Alan, I'm not proud. I'll admit to lugging my copy of the 9th Ed.
> of the NAB Eng. Hbk. all the way to Vegas for the test, and to printing
> out a copy of all the AM rules ON PAPER, as well as taking in a small
> size DA design reference from the early '70's. <ggg>

I actually did intend to bring a copy of Jack Laytons DA Basics, but I forgot it in St. Augustine
along with my filled out application. I do have the thank the crew giving the test for putting up
with me. :)

> Like you, I normally have the computer for the rules and a CD of the
> NAB Hbk. The thing that slowed my down the most was not being able
> to search the rules except by browsing through the pages. <g> In the
> best of all possible worlds I'd have liked to see less questions about
> the rules and more about the technology, but it was an interesting test,
> and IMHO it shows a degree of proficiency that should be required of
> anyone tending a DA.

IT was a very interesting test. Not too hard, but definitely not a give me either.

> One of the things that limits all the advanced SBE tests is the
> prohibition of computer use. I understand the reason for it, but
> restricting the questions to those that can be answered in a reasonable
> time using a hand held calculator does handicap the complexity of the
> questions to some extent. As we all become more computer dependent,
> this is a topic that will need exploration by the SBE's certification
> committee at some point in the future IMHO.

That's going to be an interesting subject.

On the Road in Miami Fla!! Ohh I still have to go back up and finish the remainder of the studio if
any one is wondering.