[BC] SBE AMD

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon May 23 11:15:56 CDT 2005

On 23 May 2005 at 2:33, Alan Alsobrook wrote:

> That's what they said anyway!! :) I'm curious as to how many took the
> AMD test at Vegas.

I'm sure they will tell us how many passed in the next edition of the
Signal, but I'm wondering how many were willing to take a shot at it
with no study material or idea of what they were going to cover.

> I took it Blind and Deaf,

There should be a comment there, but I'm not touching that one. <gggggg>

> since I didn't bring any reference material at all.

ABIP inspectors are supposed to have it all memorized anyway aren't
they? <ggg>

> Well I did have my copy of the rules with me
> (as always) but I couldn't use them since they are on the laptop. At
> least I did remember a basic function calculator.

Hey, Alan, I'm not proud. I'll admit to lugging my copy of the 9th Ed.
of the NAB Eng. Hbk. all the way to Vegas for the test, and to printing
out a copy of all the AM rules ON PAPER, as well as taking in a small
size DA design reference from the early '70's. <ggg>

Like you, I normally have the computer for the rules and a CD of the
NAB Hbk. The thing that slowed my down the most was not being able
to search the rules except by browsing through the pages. <g> In the
best of all possible worlds I'd have liked to see less questions about
the rules and more about the technology, but it was an interesting test,
and IMHO it shows a degree of proficiency that should be required of
anyone tending a DA.

One of the things that limits all the advanced SBE tests is the
prohibition of computer use. I understand the reason for it, but
restricting the questions to those that can be answered in a reasonable
time using a hand held calculator does handicap the complexity of the
questions to some extent. As we all become more computer dependent,
this is a topic that will need exploration by the SBE's certification
committee at some point in the future IMHO.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037