[BC] Is broadcast engineering a profession?

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Mon May 23 13:06:27 CDT 2005

The word profession comes from the word PROFESSIONAL...and I think that's the
reason that owners and managers crap all over so many broadcast
engineers....we don't ACT like professionals!

We don't look professional, we don't act professionally and we do work that's
BENEATH us!

Why? because we don't SUPPORT each other either!

If a station that treated engineers like s**t suddenly couldn't FIND one to
work for them, and it resulted in a long term off air outage, you can bet
there'd be a quick attitude adjustment there!

But we all know that's not going to happen, don't we?

Because in this industry it's basically every person for themselves. If YOU
have a good job why should YOU care about your fellow engineer who is treated
like crap?

This is why the only thing that can help now is a union, but with most of you
SO virually anti union THAT's not going to happen either...

So, despite about how much we collectively bitch and moan about it, as long as
WE do nothing, NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!

Would it surprise you to learn that the Clear Channel Los Angeles engineers
recently voted to join IBEW?  The vote wasn't even close, by the way.....

They simply got tired of being crapped on!

-D

You make a good point about whether or not broadcast engineering is or
should be a profession. Maybe it really isn't. Perhaps it's the tech's that
do the dirty work that do most of the heavy lifting.

Mario

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2