[BC] brazing

Ron Youvan ka4inm
Sat May 21 19:38:09 CDT 2005

>>  I've brazed more #10 to .030 x 4" copper than I want to think about and
>> have always used bronze rod and a flux can. I've never needed a heat spreader

> - Brazing with bronze? Isn't that too close to the melting point of copper?
> I have always made joints using silver solder and the appropriate flux.
> Of course it is more expensive, but the job will be out there a long time..

   I've always used "SilFlow 5" or equivalent silver solder,
the beauty is flux is not needed and the filler is harder
and stronger than the copper.  Melting at about 1700 Deg..
F.  It flows like water at the correct temperature.
It is 5% silver 1% phosphorus and 94% copper. I use a
"presto-lite" type acetylene + air brazing outfit.
   Two of the modern turbo propane torches working
together will work.  (if the heat sinking is small)
--
    Ron